Thursday, November 09, 2006

Community service, Malaysian style...


Last week we dental students went to YOKUK (Yayasan Orang Kurang Upaya Kelantan) for a simple get-together as Raya celebration. Very nice. But my community service is miles different from Wai Jin’s one, haha. Still memorable, though.

We were actually supposed to sort of ‘interview’ the disabled people there, ask them their full name, where they live, what happened, how they feel etc etc. Then also write down whatever information we got. But my friend and I, we just went and started chatting to one very nice Pak Mohammad about his activities at YOKUK, his lifestyle, his wife Kak Zah, about Kelantan, the food there, even about the “kuih tapai” we were eating then.…. Hahaha like friends lah! (Very paiseh la, ask people for their house address la, date of birth la, like interrogating a suspect for crime… So weird.) Plus we didn’t write anything down, cos it’s odd lah! Like reporter pulak…

Then suddenly before ending, our lecturer suddenly asked us to present what information we have!

And I was asked to be the second presenter!!! *pengsan*

Haih. No choice la, I just stood there and told all my friends and lecturer we’re sorry we didn’t write anything down, but I will speak from whatever I remember anyway…. Haha so I just stood there and crapped for 7-8 minutes…. Incidentally, Pak Mohammad’s birthday is on the 1st of January 1970…. So special.

Thank god I’m pretty okay at crapping. Hehee…

This week we went there again. This time was different. We got to ride a horse!!

Ehehehee actually the horse is for the patients to do therapy…. For example kids with cerebral palsy, they let the kids interact with animals like the horse, then ride it to improve backbone function, relieve some symptoms bla bla….












The point is the horse is actually for patients, but we went and rode on it pulak… Hahahha so bad… Somemore when the trainer asked us who wants to try, I was the first to volunteer… Haha you know la, how much I like animals…. Hehehe




But of course la, later we also helped and watched (err, actually mostly watch only) the small kid doing therapy… He was very happy, laughing and squealing all the way…


This are my friends. Unfortunately all of us were looking at someone else's camera... haha. I really enjoyed talking to the people there. Hope we can do it again!

3 comments:

Jin said...

macam go there enjoy more than doing community service one.. -.-"

June said...

hahahha ya loh. that's why i said Malaysian style community service! haha

Jin said...

-.-" din contribute.. go there n kacau ppl.. hahahahha..