Sunday, March 18, 2007

Nursing.... Hospital.....

Last week is Nursing Block for me here in USMkk. We visited the wards in the hospital and learned the basics of medic like changing bedsheet, feeding, taking temperature, blood pressure and of course, how to wash our hands. Haha when I say basic, I really mean basic you know.

You know how we usually see the doctors and nurses wash their hands and sterilize instruments to kill bacteria? Usually we don’t think much about it ma. But everything is different in real life. Bacterial infection is a very real and serious threat in the ward. So we wash hands after every single patient, before and after.

When we see those patients on TV, with tubes and wraps etc, it looks terrible right? But that’s on TV. In real life it’s much worse. Watching the nurses clean the patients. Some post-operative patients look so fragile, it’s as if they’d be blown away by a single gust of wind. The human thread of life is so thin and precious.

Didn’t take any pics. It’s seriously unethical for me to take any, haha.

What does it mean to become a doctor? I’ve no idea how to describe. I know I’ll never have to go through what I see this week (and will see for the rest of my 4 years here) because I’ll be a dentist, yet I’ll never forget my first experience in a real hospital situation. I think personally, I will always have a deep respect for the surgeons in government hospitals. These are the people who genuinely wish to help and heal the sick. Frankly, becoming a doctor is no easy task. Because as a doctor, you must know everything. EVERY SINGLE THING there is to know. Because if there’s something you don’t know, you can easily snap the thread of life….

No comments: